Ah yes, spelt flour. Quite possibly the king of ancient grains. This grain is lower in gluten, which can act as an inflammatory substance for some. My family has gluten-sensitive individuals that don’t often react to spelt, unlike the way they react to traditional wheat.
Obviously, be cautious and use your own judgement when trying this recipe if you have gluten sensitivities.
Spelt was revered by the Romans as a staple grain. A source of calories that could feed armies, since there was no need for refrigeration. Spelt is naturally non-GMO, since it existed long before this technology came to be.
This spelt recipe is suitable for beginners. This moist, warm delicious banana bread is a family favorite! 😊
Chocolate Banana Bread with Spelt Flour
- 2 Medium bowls
- Bread pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 bananas (brown, medium)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- Mix all wet ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix all powders to a separate bowl.
- Add all ingredients into the same bowl, mixing thoroughly
- Add your chocolate chunks (or chips) to bowl. Mix.
- Cover bread pan with parchment paper.
- Pour mixture into bread pan.
- Bake bread for about 50 minutes.
- Let bread cool slightly before serving.