Spelt is probably my favorite flour. This low-gluten grain seems to be safer for those in my family with gluten sensitivities. Spelt seems to not bother my family members as much or at all compared to traditional wheat.
Spelt was a staple grain of the Romans. Roman soldiers would consume spelt at high rates. As long as this grain was kept dry, they could store for a long time it without refrigeration, unlike other caloric sources at the time.
Baking with spelt is slightly different than baking with normal wheat, due to the gluten differences. However, you can replace wheat flour in a recipe 1:1 with spelt or einkorn without problems.
This spelt recipe is suitable for beginners. Muffins are an easy gateway into your newfound baking addiction. 😊🧁
Chocolate, bananas, what’s not to like?
Chocolate Banana Spelt Muffins
- 2 Medium bowls
- 12 baking cups
- Muffin tin
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 brown bananas
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix all liquid ingredients into a bowl.
- Add mixture together.
- Add chocolate chunks to mixture
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add baking cups to your muffin tin.
- Pour batter with a spoon into baking cups about 3/4 of the way up.
- Place in oven for about 30-35 minutes
- Let muffins cool down before serving.