Crepes are my favorite French-themed breakfast. They go so fast in my family!
Modern wheat contains more gluten than ancient grains such as spelt. Gluten will prevent your crepes from tearing., which is why it’s important to let your crepes sit in the fridge for an hour first.
Many of these steps can be skipped if you are using a blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
This recipe takes practice. Do not be discouraged if your first attempts don’t turn out as planned.
Chocolate Crepes with Spelt Flour
Vegetarian Ancient Grain Chocolate Crepes
- 2 Medium bowls
- Whisk or blender
- Measuring equipment
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs thoroughly.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Let batch sit in fridge covered for one hour.
- Heat up pan between medium or medium-low.
- Spread ½ tsp butter around the pan.
- Pour 1/4-1/6 of a cup into the hot pan. Pick the pan up and spread the batter all around the pan.
- Flip carefully once crepe is bubbling and the edges have browned slightly.
- Wait between 30-60 seconds, then remove from pan.
- Let crepes cool slightly before serving them.