Matcha is one of my favorite flavors, and it goes oh-so-very-well with crepes. This French-Japanese fusion delight is a family favorite!
By letting your dough sit in the fridge, you allow the gluten to bind the dough better. This will give you more cohesive crepes. Spelt has less gluten overall than modern wheat varieties, meaning this step is doubly important.
Many of these steps can be skipped if you are using a blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
This recipe takes practice. Do not be discouraged if your first attempts don’t turn out as planned.
Matcha Vanilla Crepes with Spelt Flour
- 2 Medium bowls
- Whisk or blender
- 1 ¾ cups spelt flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp matcha (Laird's Superfood's Matcha)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add all other wet ingredients together. Stir.
- Add all ingredients together. Whisk until smooth.
- Let batch sit in fridge covered for one hour.
- Heat pan between medium or medium-low.
- Spread ½ tsp butter around the pan.
- Pour about 1/4-1/6 of a cup into the hot pan. Pick the pan up and spread the batter all around the pan.
- Flip carefully once crepe is bubbling all around and the edges have browned slightly.
- Wait about thirty to sixty seconds, then remove crepe from pan.
- Cool slightly before serving.