This cod liver and roe pate mac and cheese is a delicious choice to make as an appetizer or meal for your family! No precooked noodles are required to make this recipe. The time to make this recipe may seem like awhile, but most of it is inactive.
I designed this recipe for kids and picky eaters to find a flavorful way of getting some cod liver and roe in their diets.
This recipe is inspired by an author called Dr. Weston A Price, a man who wrote about ancestral ways of eating and how it’s beneficial to human health. You can find their website here. As a disclaimer, I am not affiliated with them.
If you want to learn more about cod liver, check out this video by YouTuber Frank Tufano.
This soft, very creamy, and savory cheese is fantastic for making mac and cheese with!
In this recipe, we’ll use 8oz of Camembert cheese in the rind. Unfortunately, when beginners try to open soft cheeses for the first time, it can quickly become a mess. The rind sticks to the cheese like glue, so you have to place it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes prior to cutting the rind off.
I learned this technique from this WikiHow article. In this article, it gives directions on how to remove the rind from Brie cheese, but works exactly the same way for Camembert! With this technique, Camembert becomes easy to use. Use as straight as a knife as possible when trying to cut off the rind.
In this recipe, I used a raw cheddar from a local farm that I sliced into smaller pieces. The cheddar pairs very well with the Camembert, and helps to improve the overall texture and flavor of the meal.
I used your stereotypical grated Parmesan that comes in a green container for this recipe. Alternatively, fresh Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano (which is made in Italy from raw cow’s milk), it will improve the flavor.
In my opinion, the best kind of pasta for making mac and cheese, is a durum elbow pasta, preferably an organic one. The texture of durum is fantastic for making pasta. It’s a great
Cod Liver and Roe Pate Mac and Cheese
- Large mixing bowl
- Glass baking container (medium/large)
- Oven mitts
- 1 lb macaroni elbows
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 8 oz Camembert wheel
- 120 g Canned cod liver and roe pate
- 4 oz cheddar
- 2 tbsp Parmesan
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Put Camembert in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Mix milk and flour together in a bowl.
- Put elbow pasta in the baking container.
- Pour milk and flour blend on top.
- Cut butter into slices, then place evenly over the elbow pasta.
- Pour and spread Parmesan evenly over the pasta.
- Place shredded cheddar over the pasta evenly.
- After the 30 minutes, remove Camembert from freezer.
- Cut rind off of the Camembert.
- Evenly place Camembert on the pasta.
- Bake in oven at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes.