Crepes are a delicious type of thin type of French pancake. I personally put jam inside mine, then fold into a triangle.
This recipe is fantastic! I found it easier to use than spelt, because einkorn is a “softer” grain. It has better cohesion and texture.
The refrigeration step helps the gluten to form, allowing for crepes that don’t easily tear. It is an important step, and if you care about crepe cohesion, then you shouldn’t skip it.
It is much faster to use a blender. You can add all ingredients immediately into the blender and blend until smooth.
You will make mistakes your first few tries, but do not be intimidated. Crepes are easy once you get the hang of them. 😊
Sweet Einkorn Crepes
Vegetarian Ancient Grain Crepes
- 2 Medium bowls
- Whisk or blender
- Measuring equipment
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup einkorn flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs thoroughly.
- Add and stir all other wet ingredients together.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Let batch sit in fridge covered for one hour.
- Heat pan between medium or medium-low.
- Add 1/2 tsp butter to the pan and spread it evenly.
- Pour 1/4-1/6 of a cup into the hot pan. Pick the pan up and spread the batter all around the pan.
- Flip carefully once crepe is bubbling all around and the edges have browned slightly.
- Wait about thirty to sixty seconds, then remove crepe from pan.
- Cool slightly before serving.