I’m a big fan of lemon baked goods. This recipe has a popular one among the fam!
Gluten is the key for making your crepes cohesive. Spelt naturally contains less gluten than modern wheat varieties.This is why letting your dough sit in the fridge is a very important step, to let that gluten develop in the dough.
Many of these steps can be skipped if you are using a blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
This recipe takes practice. Do not be discouraged if your first attempts don’t turn out as planned.
Lemon Crepes with Spelt Flour
- 2 Medium bowls
- Whisk or blender
- 1 ¾ cup spelt flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon flavoring (Frontier brand)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir all other wet ingredients together.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Refrigerate dough for one hour in fridge.
- Heat pan between medium or medium-low.
- Spread ½ tsp butter around the pan.
- Pour about 1/4-1/6 of a cup into the hot pan. Pick the pan up and spread the batter all around the pan.
- Flip carefully once crepe is bubbling all around and the edges have browned slightly.
- Wait about thirty to sixty seconds, then remove crepe from pan.
- Let crepe cool slightly before serving.